So I've been waiting and waiting and I still haven't heard anything that defends the actual content in the Planned Parenthood videos. I've heard things like, "Oh that's not what really happened. That's edited. WE AREN'T SELLING ANYTHING!!!" None of this really defends or disagrees with the video's main content. Mostly what I'm hearing is just a gross change of subject. I've heard plenty of things spoken in defense of the organization as whole, of course. I keep hearing them say things like, "THIS IS WOMEN'S HEALTH AT STAKE!" or "LOOK AT ALL THE GOOD WE DO!" or "THIS IS AN ATTACK FROM SOME CRAZY EXTREMISTS!" And while I do love shrill voices and red herrings, I'm still waiting for a solid defense on what has actually gone on in the videos. Saying a bunch of stuff about OTHER issues does not mean you addressed the issue in everyone's faces. It just means you are awesome at changing the subject. It means you're hoping we're all dumb enough to follow you into the new topic while we experience total amnesia about the topic at hand.
Women's health IS important. Providing services to women who would otherwise be left without such things IS important! But sometimes it's like everyone is saying, "Hey there's no other way to help women. We simply MUST help them in facilities that abort their babies and sort through their body parts. Look it just WON'T WORK! Can you imagine defunding this organization? It's the ONLY WAY FOR ANYTHING GOOD TO HAPPEN TO WOMEN?!" It's like PP is the goddess of women's health and without her, women are doomed. Looks to me like PP wants to empower itself, and not so much the women. Why can't we deal with the horror of these videos while we also continue to care for women's health? Is this just an impossible disentangling? I am speechless over this sort of illogical conclusion. Am I just ignorant? Is PP really the saving grace of women's health?
I just wish they'd admit it--admit what they are actually defending here, instead of claiming to be so delicately concerned about women. But they can't admit it. They can't. Because as soon as they do, they have to sound inhumane. And who wants a bunch of inhumane people advocating for their health? Who wants to seek healthcare from people with inhumane agendas, even if those agendas are strictly relegated to the unborn? Even if those inhumane agendas are all in the never-to-be-tampered-with-oh-so-holy name of SCIENCE AND PROGRESS? Oh, yes I love humans! I love women! I love people! I support the betterment of human life in general! Of course! Oh. Um. Unless that life is a mere 18 weeks gestational age and too vulnerable to litigate, communicate, or breathe on its own.
I mean there just isn't a humane way to say, "Look here, we like to treat babies like hamburgers, butchering them up for research and discussing them over wine, in the same way we discuss fashion and movies. We think babies are appendages to women's bodies and they don't deserve a shred of respect, except insofar as they are useful to the research and to the betterment of other actual humans we respect and other actual humans who are in need of the hamburgers we just cut up. So don't condemn us for these videos. We haven't done anything wrong IN THE VIDEOS."
I still haven't heard anyone say that. If you have heard this kind of thing, please tell me! I'm eager to hear! I'm just beyond frustrated that we keep discussing the OTHER things PP does well or right. We keep discussing how important it is not to shut them down because of OTHER stuff they do. I have googled info and searched twitter and gone specifically to places where I would find pro-choice opinions. . .and I'm still waiting for that solid defense. I'm still waiting for someone to stop being a hypocrite and own up to their actual view of the unborn baby. Why not articulate that view with your words? It has already been articulated with actions. I don't understand why the words need to step aside or get buried under separate points made. At least Peter Singer knew how to be consistent -- He wasn't entrenched in hypocrisy (as far as I can tell from over here anyway). At least even as he articulates shockingly disturbing views, he has the decency to let those views carry on toward their obvious conclusions.
No comments:
Post a Comment