Monday, June 15, 2015

MM Posts and Elisabeth Elliot

My latest MM post went up today. The post I was most squeamish about writing.  I said to myself no one will get this. Everyone will judge. I imagined all my friends waking up at 4 a.m. and still having the energy to function all day long with their happy hearts. You know, without irritability from being tired. But I got a little braver about this topic after my webinar with Rachel Jankovic. I can still hear her words when someone asked about quiet times and feeling bad when things don't go as planned. "Guilt is a terrible motivator," she said. And yes, yes it is. Rachel J also talks repeatedly about not breaking fellowship with your children. Always, always stay in fellowship. Let this drive the way you discipline them, instruct them, react to their questions and antics and all the rest. Can you imagine if we all lived this out for real? I can't stop thinking about it. It definitely makes me rethink a lot of my words and actions towards my children and how I interact with them. And this got me thinking too about how to handle interruptions . . .especially interruptions that come during a quiet time.

http://missionalmotherhood.com/intimacy-with-god/motherhood-vs-your-quiet-time/


And strangely, during my single life. . .when I was first starting to really grow as a believer and seek God in a quiet place. . .one of my most read books was by Elisabeth Elliot. It was called Keep A Quiet Heart. It was 1995 when I read her book Passion and Purity. I processed things differently after that. It changed my internal monitor, though in my immaturity I wasn't a quick study. She continued to be a central influence in the way I tried to relate all the churchy stuff I knew in my head to what was going on in my heart and my life.

I think I'll go find that box I have with all my old cassette tapes of her Gateway To Joy radio programs. I miss her voice. It's been awhile. Can't you hear her now? "You are loved with an everlasting love. And underneath are the everlasting arms."

She's in the everlasting arms now!

No comments: