So two women make it through Army Ranger school, but Caitlyn Jenner makes it to “Woman of the Year.” Somebody help me out here.
Am I the kind of woman who hopes to graduate from Ranger School? Nope. Do I find it impressive that two women pursued such a thing and succeeded? You bet. Would I like to be named “Woman of the Year” by a magazine? No thanks. Do I find it disturbing that a man becomes a woman and now claims the title “Woman of the Year”? You bet. Of all the women in the world, this is who we name. This is who gets the recognition. So we have Bruce who FEELS like Caitlyn and decides to do something about it. Inspirational! Then we have Capt. Kristen Griest and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver who CHOOSE to rise above the stereotypes, push their minds and bodies to the limit, and successfully graduate as Rangers. Yawn.
So Caitlyn says the hardest thing about being a woman is “figuring out what to wear.” She says this while women all around the world push tiny humans through their bodies. Women all around the world endure mastectomies and hysterectomies and go on to find out just how strong they really are—just how much strength exists in their dignity. Women all over the world make unique sacrifices and bear cultural burdens. Some fight just to survive. Some face the horror of gender apartheid and cold discrimination. Some women climb tall ladders of success and conquer odds. But what’s really terrible is when they can’t find a single thing to wear! The horror! And it’s just cruel trying to keep up with changing styles and trends. These are women’s woes. This is the dog in our fight.
But Caitlyn is happy to be on this team.
She says, “I am SO glad to be on this team and help it along!” How nice. According to Caitlyn, “The power of the woman has just not even been unleashed around the world.”
She says, “I am SO glad to be on this team and help it along!” How nice. According to Caitlyn, “The power of the woman has just not even been unleashed around the world.”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinharris/caitlyn-jenner-the-power-of-the-woman-hasnt-been-unleashed#.xfbdPokwo
1 comment:
yes.
Post a Comment