Sharing this week on Missional Motherhood! I still hear the phrase "savor every moment" (or something similar) on a regular basis. Sometimes I am wondering if people just mean, "enjoy the little years because the teenage years are coming and don't worry, you won't want to savor those and we won't expect you to." Or I wonder if they mean, "We don't really remember what it was like when our kids were small, but now that we see you with yours, we definitely remember it was a special time because when we compare it to the teenage years and the adult years, we think the little years were our favorite. So in hindsight, we wish we had enjoyed those years more."
So all of these things make sense to me on some level, but on another level I'm like, "But wait, every season has its foibles, quirks, and hardships and isn't contentment really what it's all about? Even if you're all done with the little years?" I found myself constantly frustrated trying to "enjoy" certain moments of these little years. Sometimes my kids were being downright sinful. I found it an odd time to tell myself to enjoy the moment. At the same time, there are other moments you enjoy so much they swallow you whole. The joy, the mirth - it's MONSTROUSLY INTENSE!!!! It's almost cruel because you know the same little people who create that moment for you are also the ones who will create the moment of UGH and AAAAHHH and I'M THE WORST MOM EVER BECAUSE I AM NOT ENJOYING THIS MOMENT AT ALL!
Anyway, I finally sorted through this topic in writing. Feel free to take a peek. The picture was taken on a Sunday morning when my kids were dressed up and cute as buttons. I whipped out my nice camera and prepared for a perfect picture moment. It didn't work. So I gave up and then within 30 minutes or so the tide changed, and I caught an awesome picture with my iPhone. Awesome poses I mean. Too bad the iPhone is no match for a Nikon.
Here's the link!
http://missionalmotherhood.com/treasuring-time/the-moments-you-cant-savor-though-you-try/
No comments:
Post a Comment