Monday, April 6, 2015

Webinars and Blog Posts

I recently took part in a six week webinar hosted by Rachel Jankovic (she says it's pronounced Jank-a-vik! good to know). I think the word "giddy" works here if you want to know how I felt about hearing from her and being able to ask her questions. I had to miss logging on in real time a couple of weeks, but they always sent a link to the discussion so you could listen after the fact if you had to miss. The good thing about doing it in real time was that you could ask questions. We would type in a question and she would read it aloud and then answer. Like she would say, "Ok Lee says..." and proceed to read my question. MY question! It was pretty exciting. She always cut straight to the jugular and realigned my perspective in a matter of minutes. I asked her questions about dealing with anger and lack of self-control (in myself), how to relate to extended family,  whether or not it's selfish to consider yourself "done" having kids, and so on. Then I got to hear questions from others and hear her answers to those as well.

She always started the webinar with her own wisdom on a particular subject and then we asked our questions afterwards. One week the entire hour was devoted to a discussion on intimacy in your marriage. After hearing some of the questions and listening to her address issues, I went away wondering just how many Christian women out there are lonely in marriage, struggling to connect, and subsequently withdrawing from their husbands, and keeping him at a distance. And I wondered how many women feel completely justified in what they withhold. These are deep waters and I know every one has their own story. But I also know that no other relationship is compared to Christ and the Church. What other relationship is called "one flesh"? We don't get that "one flesh" phrase placed on any parent/child relationship. In fact, we are told marriage means leaving one of the most substantial and influential relationships of all time. We leave our father and mother. We cleave to our spouse. What good is it if we are religious and spiritual in every other way, yet we go home and keep our hearts and our bodies to ourselves? What is marriage without vulnerability?

Today's post on Missional Motherhood deals with this issue. It's not something that is talked about enough, no doubt. It's a delicate subject on the one hand. Yet, on the other hand, you need to cross out large sections of your Bible to truly get away from the subject of intimacy in marriage.

Here's the link:
http://missionalmotherhood.com/marriage/battling-for-your-marriage/

1 comment:

Robin Williford Stevens said...

I'm so jealous. I love her wisdom!! Thanks for the link. This is something that has been weighing heavily on me the last few weeks. Much to ponder and pray about...