We had a guest preacher speak awhile ago. He mentioned the Gospel over and over and the believer's need to know this message. He talked about living in morality versus Gospel living. He talked about Christ and His centrality to the gospel.
One thing I tend to pray about often is that hypocrisy will not be part of our home. In church I used to hear a lot of phrases like "protect your testimony" and "don't ruin your witness" a lot and I think some of that terminology can get a person down a wrong slope. My testimony. My reputation. My image. It seems to put the cart before the horse. I used to try to figure out how "protect your testimony" was compatible with the words of Jesus when he said, "Beware when all men speak well of you."
Anytime I read the Gospels, I am struck by the way Jesus spoke to the
Pharisees compared to the way he spoke to the harlots and the worst of
sinners. It is hard for me to imagine just how religious and upright the Pharisees were. He speaks to them so harshly that I forget how spotless their testimonies must have been. But to the harlot he
simply says, "Go and sin no more."
So I've thought through this issue of hypocrisy and had a few thoughts. I've thought about what makes a hypocrite and what breeds a hypocrite.
1. Be a fan of Jesus more than a follower
as opposed to: Deny thyself, take up thy cross and follow me. - Jesus
2. Be as moral as possible, but without embracing the Gospel
as opposed to: Unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of heaven. -Jesus
3. Be a person of little faith
as opposed to: So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep
the law. For the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous
person has life." Gal. 3:11
"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees.
Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from
your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the
law--justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not
neglect the more important things. Blind guides! You strain your water so you won't accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel!" Matt. 23:23-24
No comments:
Post a Comment