Saturday, March 2, 2013

Berry Talk

Over Thanksgiving, I spotted a Wendell Berry book on the shelf at my brother's house. The book was The Art of the Commonplace. I was first introduced to Berry during my time at L'abri in 2003. I started with Jayber Crow and then went on to read some of his non-fiction. He's not the C.S. Lewis in my life, but he sure has given my brain and heart a wonderful literary feast. I plucked the book from the shelf and found an essay called "Feminism, the Body, and the Machine."

I wanted to print out this particular essay when I got home from our Thxgvg vacation. So I googled it and wah-lah, I found it! Here's the link to the essay:

http://www.crosscurrents.org/berryspring2003.htm

This essay is for anyone who tells themselves that staying home with kids is tantamount to "not contributing" or that helping your husband is somehow a euphemism for "doted upon" or "weak." Your household is indeed an economy and a very important one. Your children are indeed part of society and will one day be part of that society in a more economic sense. Your job in the home is not categorically lesser simply because it doesn't include a salary and a boss who may or may not have any genuine interest in you. Your job at home may indeed be lesser (just as a paid job could be lesser than a job at home), but being at home doesn't, by category, make it lesser. Your help to your husband may indeed mean that he's a pushy, macho man who doesn't appreciate you. But helping one's husband isn't categorically demeaning. Especially if you care at all about Genesis 2:18. It should be noted that Genesis 2 comes before the Fall in Genesis 3. (To be clear, if you do happen to fit the stereotype of SAHMs who "eat bon and bons and watch soap operas whilst the children wander about the house" then that is another story.)

I personally enjoy working for my husband, my partner, and the father of my children. I also appreciate a husband who practices his belief that bread winning is not the summation of his fatherhood---the children need him as their father, not just as the provider of resources. I categorize myself as a stay at home mom. I believe that includes a contribution to society (in particular, my very small members of society) and to my home as an economy.

In the essay, Berry talks about an article he wrote in which he mentions his wife helping him. She helps type out his essays, and she gives her input. He got a reaction from the article which assumed a few things. In the essay, he responds to these assumptions and a false syllogism.  He goes on to tend to other matters in the essay such as the use of a computer and technological progress. But he starts with the household as an economy.  I don't mean to open a can of worms and I especially don't mean to say anything more than what I've just said. If I didn't say it, it shouldn't be assumed to be implicated. These matters are material for discussion, but I thought this essay made a great dent in a conversation that I think will go on for years and years to come. Furthermore, I think there will always be, on some level, a dissatisfaction in one's work and life. This is true for a man or woman. This is true for a mom or a dad, married or unmarried, wealthy or poor. I know it to be true for the unbeliever because I believe, like Augustine, that there's that God-shaped hole in all of us. But what about for the believer? Why don't we expect angst, and even embrace it, in a way?

Romans 8:23 from NLT, And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us.

I'm no hermeneutics expert, but to me that means that I shouldn't expect fulfillment of the ultimate sort until that Ultimate day comes. And I think that "Godliness with contentment is great gain" can be true at the same time as Romans 8:23 is true. I don't feel pressured to delight in each Cheerio I pick up from the floor or each bad attitude I have to address. I do pray against being a murmurer though.

So here are a few excerpts from the essay (emphasis mine):

Excerpt One:

"Marriage, in what is evidently its most popular version, is now on the one hand an intimate “relationship” involving (ideally) two successful careerists in the same bed, and on the other hand a sort of private political system in which rights and interests must be constantly asserted and defended. Marriage, in other words, has now taken the form of divorce: a prolonged and impassioned negotiation as to how things shall be divided. During their understandably temporary association, the “married” couple will typically consume a large quantity of merchandise and a large portion of each other.

The modern household is the place where the consumptive couple do their consuming. Nothing productive is done there. Such work as is done there is done at the expense of the resident couple or family, and to the profit of suppliers of energy and household technology. For entertainment, the inmates consume television or purchase other consumable diversion elsewhere.
There are, however, still some married couples who understand themselves as belonging to their marriage, to each other, and to their children. What they have they have in common, and so, to them, helping each other does not seem merely to damage their ability to compete against each other. To them, “mine” is not so powerful or necessary a pronoun as “ours.”

Excerpt Two:

"If I had written in my essay that my wife worked as a typist and editor for a publisher, doing the same work that she does for me, no feminists, I daresay, would have written to Harper’s to attack me for exploiting her—even though, for all they knew, I might have forced her to do such work in order to keep me in gambling money. It would have been assumed as a matter of course that if she had a job away from home she was a “liberated woman,” possessed of a dignity that no home could confer upon her."

Excerpt Three:

"But what appears to infuriate them the most is their supposition that she works for nothing. They assume—and this is the orthodox assumption of the industrial economy—that the only help worth giving is not given at all, but sold. Love, friendship, neighborliness, compassion, duty—what are they? We are realists. We will be most happy to receive your check."

3 comments:

creativeLOVE said...

The way I see it, it is about this dichotomy:

Two people choosing to serve each other, while understanding their Biblical gender roles....the husband being a loving, sacrificing leader, and the wife supporting him and living humbly under his leadership.

vs.

Two people striving to maintain their own rights.

I think the Biblical model, true mutual servants who are fulfilled in living by their design, can be exercised in a variety of home settings, including both homes with two "careerists" and in homes with one spouse working and one staying at home. I've seen it played out in both of these settings, as well as not played out in both of these settings. Many modern women feel the need to justify their choice, whether it be to work outside the home or stay home, and I wish it weren't so. I think that a lot of the problems we see with modern marriages are due to not living with servanthood, submission in mind. People care about protecting themselves, asserting their rights. The two do not really become one.

Lee said...

Yes indeed. Good word. Many would disagree about there being prescribed roles. I do agree there are tho. I think what touched me the most about the article was mot so much to do with two careers or one career or justifyin those choices but about how well he articulated things about the home as an economy. I hear it intimated (or spelled out) that when a woman does her work at home raising kids and without an official paycheck that she is not contributing as well as if she brought home a check. In my gut this didnt sit well, but I couldnt quite articulate why.

creativeLOVE said...

I agree that the work done at home is undervalued in our culture for sure. There are productive ways to spend time at home; there are unproductive ways to spend time at home (I engage in both!). There are stay at home moms who do not engage much with their kids, and there are stay at home moms who take their jobs very seriously (as I know you do!!!). It is important work. We have built our society on esteeming a certain, quantifiable sort of productivity. I even found this to be true in some of my research projects that were qualitative....quantoids did not get their value. I like qualitative work, because you get the richness of human experience in studying with such methods.

My department head, in a conversation about family life, said to me last week, "Compared to marriage and having kids, I could get a PhD standing on my head. The work part is easy. The family stuff is far harder." I was glad for that acknowledgment from someone who has been very "successful."

I actually had a conversation with my senior students last semester about guarding against cultural values telling them who they need to be, and how to measure their success. They were asking for life advice. I told them I have two good friends who are CPAs who recently have left the profession they studied so hard for to do other things. I don't tell them this to discourage them, to make them think they'll regret their course of study. But I see some friends in their mid 30s who are reassessing how they are spending their time and realigning their work/life balance to favor more of life.

Anyway, I'm totally digressing here. But my point is that we value a certain kind of productivity as a culture. Our schools revolve around it. It stands in front of us as a measuring stick. God calls us to measure differently.